As you probably know, in January 24th, we finally created the WOCommunity Association as a real entity, a non-profit corporation registered in Canada. Starting with the incorporation, we reworked the "products" that we offer, and now you can support the Community by becoming a first-class member of the community.
By becoming a first-class member, you help to pay any expenses for WOCommunity services and tools, and also to make deposits for WOWODC. So you might ask yourself, where's my money is going? Let's drill down:
- Dedicated server for wocommunity.org. The cost for the server's rental, which is hosted at iWeb in Montreal, is $779.88 every 6 months. You might say: wow, that's expensive! But the server needs to run:
- Three Project Wonders apps
- Atlassian Crowd
- CommuniGate Pro (mail server + mailing lists)
The server is currently using 6 GB of RAM, 104 GB of disk space and an average of 50 GB of bandwidth each month (it can go as high as 125 GB when we release the WOWODC recordings).
- FreshBooks. We use FreshBooks for accounting and to create invoices. $31.45/monthly.
- Shopify. The WOCommunity Store needed some reworking but we (well, Pascal) didn't have the time to work on it. We started using Shopify so that we can have a nice and speedy online store. $61.95/monthly.
- CrashPlan. We needed a backup service so that we have a backup of important data and configuration outside iWeb. $32.99/annually.
- Incorporation of the association. $250 to register it at the Canada government, and $34 to register it at the provincial government. One time fee.
- PayPal and Stripe (credit card gateway) transaction fees: 2.9%.
So, basic expenses are $2177.55 annually, meaning we need 45 first-class members at $50 each to pay just for the basic expenses.
Now, let's see the WOWODC 2013 numbers.
- We hired an event manager that is dealing with the logistic and he will also be on premise at the event, he's the one who will deal with the hotel for any inquiries like special needs, adjusting the heat, etc. We had to pay 50% ($1724.62) of his fees when we signed the contract, and the other 50% ($1724.62) will be paid when the event ends. The first 50% was paid from the revenues of membership from 2012.
- Estimate cost, before taxes, for the Hilton is $17 000. We had to make a initial deposit of $1700, which was paid by cheque from the 2013 membership/sponsorship revenues. We also need to do one 25% deposit before April 25 and another 25% deposit on May 22.
- We had to make a 50% deposit for the A/V provider. That deposit was $2,832.70, and was paid by Pascal's credit card. The other 50% must be paid right after the event.
As you can see, it's a lot of expenses. To break it even, we need 65 guests (excluding presenters) at WOWODC, 50 first-class members, one Gold sponsor, two Silver sponsors and 5 Bronze sponsors.
So please support the WOCommunity Association by becoming a first-class member or by coming to WOWODC.